Monday, September 19, 2011

Morning to Night

A recurring theme of my time here in Spain, during my immersion period, is that from the moment I wake up, until the time I go to sleep, I don’t quite know what’s going to happen.  Most of this is being in a new place with new people without many established routines.  

Things I have done this week:

1) Attended a U.S. Embassy film screening on the fallout of the Al Qaeda bombing of Atocha train station on March 11, 2004.  I gained insights into the psychological impact of attacks among people and communities affected.

2) Had a massage from a physical therapist for my neck.  This was no ordinary massage; I was contorted in ways I had not thought physically possible.  I have one final follow-up appointment tomorrow, and I’ll be all set.

3) Went to the school for a few days, helped out with the lessons.  Spanish students have to take preliminary exams as classes begin, so I proctored those.  I’m placed with a small group of eager-to-learn students in a wide range of classes (science, technology, P.E., art, and English).  Tuesday through Friday, so I’m excited to continue. Very happy with my coordinator, who gives me responsibility and takes an active interest in my progress.    

4) Received a guided tour of Madrid by a young guy (friend of this family).  I saw Goya’s tomb, Palacio Royal, and the Museo del Prado, free evenings from 6-8. Since we only saw a part of it (mostly Goya and Velazquez) I’ll be making more trips out there.

5) When I opened my bank account, the banker gave me a referral for private English classes, in which I led two one-hour conversations with each of two girls who live in a wealthy neighborhood.  I wasn’t asked to come back (I could only assume they wanted a “real teacher”) but I made 50 euro.  While I would have made more money, it’s probably for the best, since won’t have two of my evenings per week tied up.  I value my free time (in which I can learn Spanish, explore the city, see friends, create things) more than extra money.   

6) Spent time in the Museo del Reina Sofia, where I saw Picasso’s Guernica.  Took stock of this moment; I had used it as the basis of 9th grade art project, and on September 17th, 2011 finally saw it in person.  It is watched by one seated guard on each side, and has is massive.  It had a lot more scenic depth than I thought. 

7) Explored La Tabacalera, an incredibly cool abandoned warehouse filled with graffitied walls, live musics, workshops, gardens, and lounge areas.  It’s free to just come and hang out.  I saw a neat play there in which one guy plays a mother and son (wearing a mask for each, swapping one for the other in alternating scenes). I’ve never seen anything like this place. I’ve found my creative haven, and will be going there a lot with my sketchbook. 

8)  Enjoyed the Spanish nightlife.  Evenings here begin at 12 midnight and end at 6 am, which is ridiculous by standards I am used to, but exciting.  It’s strange to hear the night is “just beginning” at 2 am.  And the Metro stops running at 1:30, which means I end up sleeping at a friend’s house close to the city center.  Going to bars and clubs is the thing to do every weekend.  I find it hedonistic and wonder how this manifests into a sustainable lifestyle, but it’s great for meeting people, dancing, and having a good time. 

9) Ate doner kebabs and fried calamari sandwiches.

I’m finding this experience to be very broadening.  Being placed among a new group of people, from different life experiences, who are first forming impressions of each other, is a mirror into who you are.    I’ve had to challenge some of my ways of being- I’m a routine person with a sense of ordering my time, so here I am in situations in which I just  “go with the flow.” Back home, I had all of my events planned weeks in advance.  Here, I never know what the next day will bring.  Which, as I see it, is a recipe for adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment