Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Week One Whirlwind

Week one in Madrid, and I’ve already done a lot.  Amidst the chaos (which I will explain in the paragraphs to follow), I’ve only now had the chance to get the blog rolling.  I’m going to describe what my past week has been like, and once I have a steady internet connection in my room (I’m currently writing from a café), I’ll be able to write more often. 

Things I’ve done this past week:
1) Missed a transfer flight in Lisbon, Portugal. 
2) Had two bags of luggage lost, and worn the same clothes for four days until the bags were retrieved.  Relied on the generosity of others for shampoo needs.
3) Waited a half hour in an empty plaza at 7:30 a.m. (before the sun rose) with all of my possessions to meet my coordinator.   
4) Visited my school and made classroom signs.
5) Was the passenger in a car accident, went to the hospital, and had to wear a temporary neck brace. 
6) Ate a meal with a Spanish family.
7) Took a nap on a park bench.
8) Went to a cortador de toros (in which men do Superman leaps and backflips over charging bulls).
9) Eaten pig ears. 
10) Attended the U.S. Embassy 9/11 memorial service in Parque Juan Carlos I (probably the best park I’ve ever been to- the sculptures are incredible). 
11) Settled into a place, bought a bus pass, bought a cell phone, opened a Spanish bank account.
12) Saw a flamenco performance.
13) Received a number of compliments on my hair.
14) Spent an evening speaking only Spanish with Americans.
15) Made new friends.
16) Wondered where all my money went.

So, if this is week is any indication of things to come, I will receive lots of exposure during my time here.  Each of these items is a story unto itself, but that would be a lot of telling for me, and skimming for my readers.  So the basics are:

Orientation was held at Colegio Mayor Mendel, and our days were filled with workshops, explanations of Spanish living and culture, U.S. Embassy safety and travel talks, and social events.  I felt very informed after these three days. 

I’m living in Cuatro Vientos, a tranquil military neighborhood, in an apartment rented by the mother of one of the teachers at my school.  It’s not the bachelor pad I was envisioning, but I have a large, quiet room, private bathroom, and the support of a family. 

I start my work on Thursday the 15th.  I’ll be four days a week working in the bilingual section of the school which supports 800 students in the Mostoles region of Madrid.  Bilingual education is a huge focus here, so I’ll be a resident native English speaker, supporting teachers in classrooms, planning lessons, coordinating activities. 

Thanks for reading!  I’m excited about the life I am starting here.  So please comment, e-mail me, and keep in touch.  I would love to hear what everyone back home is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment